Your guide to great eating in Auckland
Are you new to the City of Sails and hungry for some great food? We've compiled a list of some of the best spots across Auckland for you to enjoy scrumptious food on your next study session, date night or fun day with friends.
Where to eat and study
While you'll get free wifi at Starbucks, there are a lot more options to get both delicious bites to eat and a productive study session in:
- The Shelf: Smack bang in the middle of the city, this gem offers great Dutch coffee and sandwiches for fuel.
- Eight Thirty: Fresh coffee, a massive communal table to work on and a delicious menu – Eight Thirty is the K-Road go-to for busy bees.
- Remedy Coffee: Another CBD gem, Remedy is a prime spot for students and has one of Auckland's best smashed avocado toasts.
Where to go for a date
Want to treat a special someone to a romantic and memorable night out? We've got your back:
- Federal Delicatessen: Right next to the Sky Tower, the Fed offers American deli vibes and delicious food for you and your date. You can share a number of smaller dishes or dig into it yourself. But do leave some room for dessert – they do amazing pies!
- Bonz Cajun Kitchen: A short walk from Aotea Square, you've got the character-filled Elliot Stables – a food hall with the intimate feeling of a restaurant. Our top pick is Bonz Cajun Kitchen, which has an array of muouth-watering dishes, with the gumbo as definite favourite.
- Moochowchow: Trendy Ponsonby is a great date-spot, something this Thai restaurant proves yet again. From salads to scallops and delicious pork hock – this will be a taste fest to remember!
- Dante's Pizzeria Napoletana: Nothing is as classically romantic as a date night at an Italian. Enjoy traditional and authentic pizza made in a woodfired oven while you make eye contact with your date.
Where to meet with friends
When you're out to have a good time with your mates, you'll want good food too:
- Better Burger: Dig your teeth into one of Auckland's prime burger joints in the vibrant Britomart atmosphere. Needless to say the juicy burgers and on-point fries will make your taste buds sing.
- Faro: We guarantee that cooking your own meat at this inner city Korean barbecue will add character to your night out. Have some laughs as you savour the flavours.
- Ima: Inspired by the owner's Israeli roots, this CBD gem gives you a culinary taste of the Middle East like no other restaurant. The focus is on group eating, so come with an empty stomach and be prepared for a table full of different dishes.
Want to be on the other side of the story and run your own cafe? At AIS we offer hospitality management courses that'll see you run your own show in no time!